The colony history began with rats being brought to the Wistar Institute by Henry Donaldson in 1906. It is uncertain when Hilltop obtained the Wistar stock. However, by the 1960's, Hilltop was producing the Wistar rat. In 1985, through cesarean rederivation, the animals were fostered onto gnotobiotic rats in isolation. In 2003, the rats were rederived by cesarean section. All colony histories contain some possiblity of inaccuracy. This information is provided to the best of Hilltop's knowledge
Viral Antibody Profile
The coat color of the rat is albino. The rat is propagated using an outbred breeding system. The colony, located at Hilltop Lab Animals, Inc., is a closed colonies and has been so since 1985. Closed colonies develop qualities causing the rats to be uniquely suited to certain types of research.